Week 8 Reading and Writing

Since week 8 is a review week in this class, here are thoughts about the semester so far in this course:

Overall, I'm happy with how my blog & my website are working.  Google sites is a little different from anything I've used before as a website, but I'm getting the hang of working within it's limitations.  For Blogger, my blog is good.  I'm used to more customization in Wordpress, but this is good and I actually enjoy blogging. 

If I wasn't swamped with course work, I'd like to maybe take up writing a personal blog again.  It's really fun and while I dread having to sit down and come up with a post every time, once I get going I rather enjoy it and the writing flows pretty good.  I was really dreading my first story in my Storybook, but it came out much better than I thought it would.  Once I sucked it up and got to work, the words started flowing really well & my mind did a good job of wandering through the story.  I'll be interested to see the comments on it, to see if it came out as well as I hope it did.

Reading notes I don't enjoy so much.  I would be much happier if we didn't have to pick from assigned topic groups each week so that I could work more on what I'm really interested in like we do in our Storybook project.  I find my notes either too long (usually) or too short (rarely) but sometimes not helpful at all.  I'll pick a topic for the week and discover it's nothing I really want to write about or that I don't really know how I want to change it for the story post, but without time to find something different to use.  I think though that I'm finally getting my notes to a manageable length, even if I don't like the topic. 

I loved one of the examples of notes from one of our daily course announcements where the person just spelled out exactly what they liked & didn't about the story they chose & how they were going to change it for that week's story.  I think I'll try that next because it was a good idea.  I still have trouble taking notes for how I'm going to write a story.  My note-taking tends to be more for tests or book-report type writing, not to use for creative writing.  If I'm going to do a creative writing story, such as our assignments, for me it's usually better to not take notes at all, just read the story & play with it in my mind.  My mind is much better than any notes I could take....once it gets a grasp on an idea, it just rolls with it.

My favorite reading so far, for blog writing assignments has been Arabian nights or Aesop's fables.  I love the morals of Aesop, but I love the creativeness of Arabian nights.  But my real favorite readings have been for my Storybook project, because I can search around & get things of my own choosing, that truly interest me, not just pick something from a list that I may regret later on.

My favorite image I've used so far, because I truly love anything Harry Potter, and even at my age, it would be a dream come true to get to go to Hogwarts.  So I just love this photo of the castle, especially at night because that makes it even more magical.


Looking forward:

I think looking forward to the rest of the semester for this course, other than budgeting a bit more time for it & not procrastinating (Oops!), I just need to choose better for my weekly readings.  I also need to try to find a way of taking notes that I like better & remember that they aren't for a book report.  I know we need a certain word count on our posts, but that makes me stress more about getting enough down, instead of what my truly trigger some creative thoughts.  Word counts tend to make me just want to regurgitate things like I would for a book report or regular essay instead of using them to write something creative.  Even note-taking makes me think of book reports, more than something I'm going to use for creative writing.  I just really need to adjust my mind-set & note-taking thought process, I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a non-traditional OU student

Week 3 Story: Aesop's Fables in Real Life