Week 12--Famous Last Words

I really liked my readings this week.  I've seen the Alice in Wonderland movie, a couple different versions of it, but reading the actual stories was a new experience.  I really liked the readings.  It was an easy read.

My other classes are going pretty well.  I have two classes, Conflict Resolution and Technical Writing, that are taking up a lot of my time and are stressful to try to get the work load done, but they are pretty good over all.  I have a Native American Studies course this semester as well and I truly despise this course.  It's not that the work is hard and the grading system is very fair but the course itself is not good.  The professor wants us to go into every assignment with an open mind on Native American thinking vs the rest of the world thinking, but yet every single piece of reading he gives us is critical of non-Native thinking and lifestyle.  It trashes everything that a Christian white person is but expects the Christian white person to just feel bad about themselves and feel sympathy for Natives.  The material for this week talks about how white Christians are, but I've been raised as a Christian and most of my friends and family are as well.  Nothing in that material is how I have been raised and taught or currently believe and I resent being lumped into a category when it's nothing that I believe or how I behave.  And then you expect me to be open-minded to another way of thinking, when you're so closed minded to me and my beliefs?  The thing is, I'm 1/4 Cherokee, but because my ancestors were never on the Dawes Roll as they managed to stay behind in Tennessee I have no card.  I have several full-blooded Native friends that are also Christians because they made that choice of their own free will.  They practice both Christianity and also keep in touch with their tribal beliefs and make them work together quite well.  I went into the course thinking I'd be learning something more along their way of life--how they blend their Native beliefs and culture with current non-Native culture and still make it all work.  One Native friend I have quotes the Bible so beautifully and has a better knowledge of Scripture and Christianity than almost anyone I know, but he is also very into his Native culture and beliefs and it is so interesting to hear him explain how it all works together.  I was hoping for that sort of a course, not a trash my culture but expect me to embrace your culture instead sort of course.

Okay, my rant for the week is done.  I start a new job any day now, as soon as my very in-depth background check comes through so I'm trying to get as far ahead in my homework as possible while I wait on my start date.  And I'm also tremendously excited for Bedlam this weekend!!!  Wish I could be there in person, but I can't so I'll be glued to the TV yelling Boomer Sooner loud enough for people in Norman to hear me!

(OU Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium.  Boomer Sooner!!!!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a non-traditional OU student

Week 3 Story: Aesop's Fables in Real Life